09/09/2022 Daniella Johnson
Obsession about not gaining weight - Anorexia Nervosa
Gaining weight is a nightmare for most people. Many of us secretly fantasize about eating anything without gaining weight. Yet, the possibility of not gaining excess weight turns into an obsession that prompts Anorexia Nervosa or anorexia.
Anorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder that results in severe weight misfortune and is sorted as a psychiatric condition. Individuals experiencing anorexia make a solid attempt on controlling their weight and shape, utilizing outrageous endeavors. This typically will in general essentially slow down their lives. Many variables like confidence and self-perception issues, cultural pressures, and genetic elements trigger the state of mind particularly in females (more in the adolescence age). Men likewise are in some cases impacted by it however the rate is moderately low.
Anorexia frequently prompts different issues like slow development and advancement, reduced bone density, anemia, hormonal imbalances, stomach-related disorders, malnourishment, and anomaly in heart rhythm. Individuals with anorexia keep a nearby watch on their calories as well as check their weight consistently. They here and there likewise use laxatives or diuretics to dispose of however many calories as they can.
What Factors Cause Anorexia Nervosa?
There is no specific reason for anorexia nervosa. This is a blend of psychological, biological, and environmental factors.
- Biological : Doctors believe genes play a vital part in anorexia. There are genetic changes that make certain individuals at a higher risk of creating anorexia. Individuals with anorexia might have a genetic tendency toward compulsiveness, responsiveness, and steadiness.
- Psychological : Frequently individuals with anorexia might have obsessive-compulsive character attributes that compel them to adhere to severe diets and renounce food despite being eager. They will quite often have an outrageous drive for compulsiveness that compels them to believe they're rarely sufficiently flimsy. This causes elevated degrees of tension and participation in restrictive eating to reduce it.
- Environmental : The impact of modern culture accentuates being thin. Beauty and worth are frequently compared with being thin. Peer pressure powers up the craving to be thin, especially among little kids.
Anorexia Nervosa can lead to various health problems such as :
- Heart problems, such as mitral valve prolapse, abnormal heart rhythms, or heart failure
- Bone loss (osteoporosis), increasing the risk of fractures
- Loss of muscle
- In females, the absence of a period
- In males, decreased testosterone
- Gastrointestinal problems, such as constipation, bloating, or nausea
- Electrolyte abnormalities, such as low blood potassium, sodium, and chloride
- Kidney problems
- Depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders
- Personality disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders
- Alcohol and substance misuse
- Self-injury, suicidal thoughts, or suicide attempts
What helps in Identifying Anorexia Nervosa?
Anorexia Nervosa is a psychological condition that can be prompted due to biological, environmental as well as sociological factors. Some physical symptoms observed are :
- Severe loss of muscle mass
- Listlessness, fatigue, or exhaustion
- Low blood pressure
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
- Low body temperature causing cold hands and feet or hypothermia
- Bloated or upset stomach
- Dry skin
- Swollen hands and feet
- Hair loss
- Loss of menstruation or less frequent periods
- Loss of bone density, increasing the risk of fractures
- Brittle nails
- Irregular or abnormal heart rhythms
- Lanugo, which is fine downy hair on the body
- Increased facial hair
- Bad breath and tooth decay
The obsession with reducing the calorie intake to try not to put on weight influences the nutritional intake in people. Lacks of minerals as well as nutrients are normal and lead to numerous sicknesses which can be life-threatening. Healthcare professionals search for specific qualities like confining food intake, fear of gaining weight, or issues with self-perception among people.
Along with physical symptoms, there are various psychological symptoms, such as :
- Limiting the overall food intake or the range of foods.
- Showing excessive concern with weight, body size, dieting, calories, and food.
- Exercising for long hours.
- Taking laxatives, or inducing vomiting.
- Assessing their body weight and size frequently.
- Talking about being "fat" or having overweight.
- Denying feeling hungry or avoiding mealtimes.
- Developing food rituals.
- Cooking for others without eating.
- Withdrawing from social interaction.
- Showing signs of depression.
How Do doctors Help in Treating Anorexia Nervosa?
Perhaps the greatest obstacle in the treatment of anorexia nervosa is understanding that you want help. Numerous people with anorexia nervosa don't accept that they have an issue. That can make treatment troublesome.
The primary objective of treatment is to restore your body to an ordinary weight and layout typical eating habits. A dietitian will assist you with figuring out how to appropriately eat. It could likewise be suggested that your family partake in treatment with you. For some people, anorexia nervosa is a lifelong test. Various strategies include :
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) : This can help the person with anorexia nervosa find new ways of thinking, behaving, and managing stress.
- Family and individual counseling, as and when required. You and your family should endeavor to defeat anorexia nervosa. Individual, family, and group therapies are many times a vital part of treatment.
- Nutritional therapy : This provides information on how to use food to build and maintain health.
- Medication : Antidepressants might be endorsed to manage the anxiety and depression normal in those with anorexia. These may encourage you. However, antidepressants don't lessen the craving to get in shape. The antipsychotic medicine olanzapine (Zyprexa) endorsed by FDA might be useful for weight gain. Some of the time, suppliers recommend drugs to assist with period regulation.
- Supplements : These help to resolve nutritional deficiencies.
Eating disorders can be brought about by different elements and there is at present no known method for forestalling the improvement of anorexia nervosa. Be that as it may, perceiving the side effects and looking for treatment early can assist with working on the possibilities of recuperation.
Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder that may cause serious mental health conditions. This leads to restricting food intake leading to severe nutritional deficiencies. The side effects of anorexia nervosa can be life-threatening. This can be reduced with counseling, medication, and treatment for underlying mental health issues that can help people with this condition.
People Also Read:
If you or anyone is suffering from anorexia nervosa, our expert providers at Texas Specialty Clinic will take care of your health and help you recover.
Call us at (469) 545-9983 to book a telehealth appointment for a home check-up.