What is Kidney Infection?
A kidney Infection is also known as Pyelonephritis or renal infection. It happens when bacteria and viruses cause problems in either of one the kidneys.
A kidney infection is a urinary tract infection (UTI). A tube that carries urine from the body (urethra) gets a kidney infection first then it travels from one kidney to another if not get treated timely. Kidney infection can cause some serious threats to the body which we discuss later.
The function of the kidney in the Body – Being a part urinary tract kidney filters out waste from our body and extract extra water from the blood. They convert it into liquid waste and remove it from the body. The urinary tract is a combination of the following :
For kidneys to work properly they all should work together and in proper function. When these parts work in alignment they perform these functions :
- Remove waste material from a body
- Create a balance between fluids in the body
- Balancing electrolytes
- Also controls blood pressure by releasing hormones
- Controls red blood cells production with the releasing of hormones
- Balance out calcium and phosphorus to maintain bone health by producing an active form of vitamin D
- Minerals and chemicals are also get taken care of by the kidneys
Symptoms related to Kidney Infection
Kidney infection can lead to some serious consequences if it is not paid attention to on time. For identification of kidney infection observe some of the following symptoms :
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Urinating frequently
- A very strong desire to urinate
- Blood, cloudy, and pus in the urine
- Nausea and vomiting frequently
- Back pain, side pain, belly pain
- Bad smell during urination
- Weakness and tiredness
- Appetite loss
These symptoms vary according to a different age- groups. Like, kids younger than 12 years can have a mild fever, wet the bed, their pee smells bad, and others while people who are above 65 years can have memory problems (hallucination, confusion, jumbled speech) mixed with other symptoms which sometimes can be confusing.
The development of symptoms of kidney infection is quite quick. It can be developed over a few hours or in a day.
If you develop any of these symptoms quickly contact your family doctor or you can also opt for services provided by urgent care for treatment of minor infection in the kidney.
Texas Specialty Clinic provides the facility of urgent care to its patients. If you need to get urgently checked up for a Kidney Infection come to our clinic or you can also call (469) 545-9983 to book an appointment.
Reasons for Kidney Infection
- A kidney infection is caused by bacteria that enter the urinary tract through a tube that carries urine out of our body (urethra). This bacteria is often a type E.
- Type E is Escherichia Coli (E Coli) bacteria are responsible for 90% of kidney infections.
- Type E bacteria travels from the genitals through the urethra (extract urine from the body) into the bladder and moves towards the tube (which connects the bladder to the kidneys) and then ultimately to the kidneys causing infection.
Kidney infection generally occurs if there is a stone in the kidney or any other abnormality.
Treatment For Kidney Infection and Role of Urgent Care
Under the condition of infection in the kidney patient is first given antibiotics. Usually, antibiotics and painkillers are able to do the work if the infection is minor otherwise patient can go for urgent treatment too. Let us see some recommendations for kidney infection treatment :
- Antibiotics are recommended as soon as the patient is sent for the test, before the beginning of the treatment. Course for anti-biotics can stretch between 7 to 14 days. These antibiotics can be cefalexin, co-amoxiclav, and ciprofloxacin.
- Painkillers are recommended to reduce the pain and provide some relief to patients. Painkillers like Paracetamol reduce high fever. Not all painkillers are suitable when having an infection, only take those which are prescribed.
- Doctors also recommend remaining more on a liquid diet more than a solid, because during infection body gets dehydrated and it is mandatory to stay hydrated.
Role of urgent care during kidney infection :-
One can go to Urgent Care if he/she develops any symptoms of kidney infection or urinary tract infection. General Practitioners in urgent care will start the treatment as soon as they get test results.
Urgent care treatment is also available for kids who are suffering from a kidney infection.
Urgent care centers are responsible for minor treatments related to kidney infections.